This exercise involved capturing images to tell the story of an event and think about how these would be presented making sure that the images work together.
The individual images, and possible captions, for the story are below:
Taking the images, I used a single off camera flash gun with a warming filter attached to try and give a warm homely feel to the images with interesting lighting. I aimed to keep the lighting reasonable consistent but I did try and introduce small variations to keep them a bit more interesting. I’ve also tried to get a mixture of distant shots, revealing more of the cooking environment and close up shots to show what is going on.
Having captured the images, I’ve thought about how these images might be presented as a set, using the idea that they’re in a magazine. My first attempt is below:
With this three page setup, I was starting to think about the size of the images and how they related to each other. Although I feel the story is evident, I didn’t think the presentation was particularly appealing so I had a second attempt:
I think this layout is much more appealing. The first three shots showing the ingredients are necessary but they’re not particularly strong on there own. Having them as smaller images aides in the overall objective and supports the stronger larger image of the syrup being added. On the final page, I felt that the image representing the overall intent of the exercise should be the largest.